University of Florida School of Physician Assistant Studies
The School of Physician Assistant Studies at the University of Florida is the only State-funded graduate level educational program for physician assistants in the State of Florida. The School holds the distinction of being Legislatively-mandated, in recognition of the tremendous need and demand for mid-level health practitioners in the state and the nation. To date, the UF School of Physician Assistant Studies has produced 1372 graduates, more than two-thirds of whom remain in Florida for clinical practice.
1972 PA Program (PAP) established at Santa Fe Community College (SFCC), affiliated with UF College of Medicine (COM), as Associate of Science degree program. First class begins.
1974 First class graduates from SFCC.
1977 PAP moves to UF COM as a Bachelor of Science degree program.
1983 PAP moves to UF College of Allied Health Professions with pledged resources and support from UF COM.
1993 PAP returns to COM with the Department of Medicine as its academic home.
1994 PAP doubles enrollment (from classes of 30 to classes of 60, for a total of 120 students) in response to Legislative mandate.
1996 PAP changes to a graduate level degree program offering the Master of Physician Assistant Studies (MPAS) degree.
2009 PAP becomes the School of Physician Assistant Studies and moves to department-level within the College of Medicine.